FMSF#: HN285, 307, 308, 309 - 328, 349, 350, 368 - 384, 391 - 398
3200 Airglades Boulevard
Clewiston, Florida 33440
This site is located in the Southwest region of the state. The latitude and longitude of the site is 26-44-31.235N / 081-02-59.241W.
Airglades Boulevard intersects with Highway US27 approximately six miles NW of Clewiston.
One of several private flying schools in Florida, the McCay-Riddle Aeronautical College directed this operation. Providing primary, basic, and advanced training for both British and American pilots, the facility opened in 1941 just west of Clewiston. Identified as No. 5 British Flying Training School (BFTS), over 1,300 British cadets learned to fly at this site using PT-17s, BT-13s and AT-6s.
Local volunteers established a Cadet Club in what was known as the Pioneer Building (on Ponce deLeon Street behind present day U.S. Sugar Corp.) where dances and games were provided. The Clewiston Inn also served as a meeting place for officers and cadets to socialize.
The No. 5 BFTS Association of former students continue their contact with the Clewiston community through periodic visits.
Nothing remains of the WWII era Riddle Field facility.
Civic Center Park in Clewiston is the site of a memorial honoring the British cadets and the school they attended.