The books in this bibliography, geared to K–12 readers, relate to Forever Changed: La Florida, 1513–1821, a permanent exhibit of the Museum of Florida History. Themes interpreted in three exhibit galleries—Land of Many Cultures, Spanish Exploration, and Meeting of the Cultures—are explored in the following selection of books. The list does not include all books available about these subjects; rather, they represent nonfiction and fiction works that Museum staff regard as relatively accurate, pedagogically sound, and very engaging.
The following criteria guided the development of the bibliography.
- All books are cited in format adapted from MLA.
- Age recommendations are listed.
- Books generally were chosen because of their accessibility. If they are out of print, this is noted, although they often are available through Interlibrary Loan (ILL).
- Different formats in which books are available are noted.
- If a book is available in a language other than English, this is noted.
- Book awards are mentioned in the listing.
- Fiction and nonfiction books are distinguished in the citation.
This bibliography was compiled by Museum of Florida History intern Rebecca Reibman, with text contributions from MFH volunteer Michelle Hearn and MFH staff members Lisa Barton, Lisa Dunbar, and KC Smith; edited by KC Smith; and graphic design by MFH staff member Tim Leatzow. To cite this bibliography:
Reibman, Rebecca. Forever Changed: La Florida, 1513–1821. A Bibliography for Young Readers. Tallahassee: Museum of Florida History, Florida Department of State, 2011.